Today started off with an awesome boxing class at 5:30am. I really might be addicted to boxing. So addicted that I’m even considering cancelling my Gold’s Gym membership (which I’ve had for over 10 years) in order to pay for the boxing gym. In a 1 hour boxing class I’m able to work different muscles, tone my weak arms, strengthen my core, and work up a sweat. And as a bonus, I come home at 6:30am with SO much excitement (maybe too much excitement if you ask Mike…. ) and energy for the day. I don’t think I’ve ever left Gold’s Gym excited? I usually leave in a rush while layering hand sanitizer all over me……
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
“5 Reasons Running Makes You Happier”
1) “Physical exercise, running included, is known to release endorphins in the brain. Endorphins act as a natural “drug” that make a person more energetic, more awake and, yes, happier. The endorphins can kick in during run, after a workout or both, and are generally referred to as a “runner’s high.”
2) “Running gets you into better physical shape, which, in turn, makes you feel stronger and better able to handle challenges that come your way. Being in better shape changes you not only physically, but also mentally. It makes you feel more empowered, which leads to a happier mood.”
3) “Running and racing allow you to set goals. People are much happier when they are working towards a goal, whether they actually achieve it or not.”
4) “The running community is a very social group even though running is an individual sport. That fact might seem counterintuitive, but runners are very supportive of each other and are actually very social. Running with friends or interacting with other runners virtually can provide them with a supportive social group. Humans are generally happier (especially women) when they feel strong social connections.”
5) “Finally, running improves your self-esteem. Increasing endorphins, getting in better shape, working towards a goal and increasing social connections all work together to increase your overall self-esteem. Increased self-esteem leads you to be happier. Think about it. Have you ever met a truly happy person who didn’t have high self-esteem? I doubt it.”
Wow, I 100% agree with everything in the article! Don’t get me wrong though; I’m not always a happy camper when I’m actually running. I’d say I’m only happy while running about 60% of the time. The other 40% of the time it’s a struggle (mentally) to finish a run. But I do always feel a million times better after a run! :D
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Do you agree with the article? Does running make you happier?
Any fun weekend plans??