I had a couple really ripe bananas in my kitchen so I decided I’d bake paleo banana bread muffins. I tried searching the internet for a paleo recipe that included bananas and almond butter (almond butter = protein = feel full longer :)) but had no luck. So I tweaked a couple recipes and came up with the following:
Paleo Banana & Almond Butter Muffins
1 1/2 cup almond flour
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- 2 ripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons almond butter
*Ingredients are for a small batch: 9 muffins
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2) Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl: almond flour, ground flaxseed, ground cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg, and salt.
3) In a seperate smaller bowl, add the bananas, eggs, honey, olive oil, vanilla extract, and almond butter. Mix well.
4) Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients and mix together.
5) Fill greased or lined muffin tins about 3/4 full. Bake for about 18- 24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
6) Let cool and enjoy with coconut oil, grass-fed butter, or some almond butter.
I left my jar almond butter at work so I used a couple packets instead.
I enjoyed my 2 muffins with a glass of wine (don’t worry this was dinner not breakfast ;))
I’ll admit the recipe wasn’t as amazing as my mom’s banana bread but considering it was gluten-free, grain-free, and dairy-free, it was really delicious and it’s something I’ll bake in the near future!