Cook This, Not That: Mushroom Melts

Happy Friday friends!

Today started off with a 5 mile run around the gorgeous Castle Island.   I tried running without my bulky iPhone but as soon as I saw the beautiful pink sky I had to run back to my apt and grab it. 

I was also able to run with my new GPS watch today.  I tried to use it on my run Wednesday but couldn’t figure the tricky lil’ thing out.  So last night I opened up the owner’s manual and actually read it (I’m not a “manual reading” kinda gal and would much rather wing it.  Do you guys read manuals?  Don’t they usually leave you more confused and frustrated??)  To make the manual reading event a bit more exciting, I poured myself a large glass of white wine. 😀


Last nights dinner was from the “Cook This, Not That” book.  Mike prepared the meal and I cooked fresh broccoli to have on the side.  We’ve had this meal a bunch of times and it always comes out tasting awesome!!

Mushroom Melts

Serving size: 4


  • 2 tablespoons mayonnaise  or light mayo
  • juice of 1/2 lemon
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped roasted red peppers
  • 1 clove garlic, minced —>we didn’t include this since I don’t like garlic
  • 4 large portobello caps, stems removed
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella —> we substituted sliced american cheese
  • 4 slices red onion —> didn’t include
  • 4 whole wheat rolls
  • handful of lettuce


1) Heat a grill or grill pan.  Combine the mayo, lemon juice, red peppers, and garlic.

2) Rub the mushrooms with the olive oil, vinegar, Italian seasoning, and salt and pepper.  Grill, top side down for 2 to 3 minutes, flip, and immediately add the cheese.  Cook for another 2 to 3 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the mushrooms are fully cooked.  While the mushroom are cooking, grill the onions until browned and toast the buns.

3) Top each bun with the lettuce, grilled onions, mushrooms, and the pepper mayo.

The book compared the Mushroom Melts with 370 calories vs. a Veggie Burger from Ruby Tuesday’s with 952 calories.  That’s a savings of 582 calories!!!  I know homemade meals are always healthier than eating out but it still amazes me whenever I see the calorie difference.  It’s a good thing Mike and I only eat out 1-2 times a week.  Cheers, to staying in and being cheap healthy. 😀


By the way, I want to point out that I don’t eat this healthy all the time.  Yes, I post healthy meals and recipes on the blog but that’s only to share healthy ideas with you guys.  I try to follow the 80/20 rule of eating healthy 80% of the day and eat whatever the other 20%.  Yesterday I had pizza and birthday cake for lunch so I tried to make healthy choices the rest of the day.  I did feel a little sick after the pizza and cake but I didn’t feel guilty about eating them.  It’s all about balancing your food choices and trying to eat mostly healthy but knowing that it’s also OK to eat less healthy foods too. 

Alright time to finish my peanutbutter cup smoothie (I’m addicted) and get ready for work! 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s