Have you guys been watching the Olympics? I checked out the women’s gymnastics last night and couldn’t turn it off. They are so freakin’ amazing!!! Watching the gymnastics and running events are always on the top of my list for the Summer Olympics. What do you enjoy the most? 🙂
Needless to say, I was up watching TV later than usual and never made it to the gym this morning. Instead I had a relaxing morning and enjoyed a bowl of oatmeal and a homemade Dunkin’s ice coffee with almond milk. I added a big scoop of almond butter and lots of blueberries to the oatmeal (which made it super filling!)
An easy, healthy salmon dinner was on the menu last night. I went to Whole Foods (I knowww, stupid move…. way too expensive) and picked up a pound of wild salmon, asparagus, and sweet potatoes for the meal. I prepared the salmon on an aluminum foil wrapped baking sheet (easier clean up) and topped it with melted butter and crushed almonds. I cooked it at 400 degrees until it turned a whitish/ light pink shade, roughly 18-20 minutes.
I recently started buying better quality meats, chicken, and seafood; such as wild ocean caught salmon instead of farm raised salmon. I knew that wild fish was better for me but never knew exactly why it was better. So during the time I started to eat a more paleo diet, I was reading a lot of articles on grass-fed cows, cage-free chickens, wild fish compared with animals and fish raised on farms.
For salmon, here’s what it comes down to:
- Farm raised salmon (which are housed in controlled farms, jammed packed into little bins with hundreds or thousands of other salmon) are fed fishmeal pellets as their daily diet to bulk them up for market. Fishmeal consists of ground-up sardines, anchovies, mackerel, and other small fish. Fish are not supposed to eat this crap!
- Farm raised salmon have high levels of PCB’s (Polychlorinated biphenyls) which is a highly toxic compound!!! Their levels are 8 times higher than wild salmon (ahhh how is that legal?!?)
- Farm raised salmon have a higher fat content because they’re packed in little bins and can’t move ( 😦 ) They’re also fed fishmeal which is loaded with oil, which can result in 52% more fat.
- Farm raised salmon are given food coloring in order to appear pretty pink and look more appetizing while wild salmon are naturally pink.
- Farm raised salmon have higher levels of disease.
I could go on and on regarding this topic but I won’t bore you guys…… Basically you should pay attention to the fish and meats you consume….
Remember: a happy fish, swimming with his/her happy friends and family in the wild is also a healthy fish. 😀