What’s better than starting off 2013 with a hearty, healthy brunch? Doing it without a hang-over! This “no hangover” thing is amazing. I should do it more often. (Btw, if you are hungover today, you should check out this article from Shape magazine. It includes 4 hangover cures that work and 2 that don’t…. 😀 )
This morning I woke up around 8 and got to work at preparing a nice breakfast for Mike and myself. I knew I wanted to make a muffin and keep it on the lighter side since I’ve been eating a lot of crap lately. I also wanted a breakfast that will keep me satisfied. This recipe is loaded with oats, banana, apples, and it’s flour-free.
Apple Cinnamon Oat Muffins
- 3 cups old fashion oats
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 1 cup almond milk (or skim milk)
- 1 mashed banana
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 granny smith apples – peeled, cored and chopped
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray muffin tin with non-stick spray.
2) In a large bowl, combine the oats, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, and ground cinnamon. In a separate bowl, mix the eggs, milk, vanilla extract, and mashed banana (I used a hand beater to blend). Pour the wet ingredients into the large bowl and stir well. Stir in the chopped apples.
3) Spoon into prepared muffins cups, filling about 2/3 of each cup.
4) Bake for about 22 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Enjoy!
I enjoyed mine with a little bit of peanut butter spread in the middle and fresh fruit on the side….
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Alright let’s talk about New Year’s Resolutions. I think my resolutions are the same as last years but I liked them so I’ll use them again. 😀 Here are my resolutions for 2013:
**Eat a more clean diet, similar to the paleo diet. I’ll do this by cutting back on processed foods, reading labels more carefully, eating more fruits and veggies, and being more aware of what I’m consuming.
**Cook and bake more often; experiment in the kitchen.
**Run more speed workouts so I can PR in a half marathon and 5K this year. The training I put together for my half marathon incorporates 1 day a week for speed work so I’ll have to continue this even after the race.
**Save more $$$. Mike and I want to buy a house this year so I really need to cut back on going to the bars, out to dinner, clothes shopping, concerts, Dunkins, Target shopping sprees, etc. This resolution kinda stinks but I need to think long-term and how I really, really want to buy a house ASAP.
***Edited to add:
**Be more POSITIVE: I’d like to be a more positive person. I’m not a Debbie Downer at all but if there’s a negative in my life, I’m going to make an effort to turn it around into a positive situation. 😀
**Floss more often: Yeah, I’m lazy and don’t do this as often as I probably should….
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
How was your New Years Eve?
What are your resolutions?