Alright, let’s get right into it! I’ll start off with the most obvious tip and then move on to my 4 other a little less obvious tips. 🙂
1) GET MOVING!
I know I’ve said this before but I really love running in new places (when I’m not in a sketchy area and I can’t get lost!) I even did a guest post on the topic on this awesome blog. My advice, if you can, try to get outside and move….
- Squeeze in an early morning run before your busy day starts.
- Get out and power-walk. Walk to the train station instead of taking a taxi. Or walk to dinner after your hectic day. Or even get out during your lunch break for a brisk afternoon walk. Anything is better than nothing!
(Path for running in Hannover, Germany)
(Quick evening run while in Orange County, CA)
And if you can’t get outside to workout then….
- Take it to the convenient hotel gym
- Follow along to a favorite workout DVD on your laptop
- Watch free exercise video’s on YouTube
- Look up a “no weights” circuit training plan from Pinterest
You have so many options!
2) DON’T FORGET YOUR FRUITS & VEGGIES
I know, I know… it’s sooo easy to forget about fruits and veggies and it’s also so hard to get them sometimes. For this reason I try to hit a grocery store soon after my arrival and stock my mini fridge. Last week I picked up a bunch of grapes and snacked on them while getting ready for work.
I also try to order salads with a healthy olive oil based dressing at restaurants.
(Dinner in Antwerp, Belgium last week…. 1/2 salad + 1/2 pizza = perfection)
If they don’t have a healthy dressing then just request one. My salad came with a creamy super unhealthy dressing so I asked them to instead bring a little olive oil with honey and mustard. It’s really not that hard for a waiter/waitress to substitute a dressing so don’t feel bad asking.
(Not the tastiest drink but it was made with ALL VEGGIES.)
3) DRINK LOTS OF WATER. AND THEN DRINK MORE!!
4) DO WHAT IT TAKES TO GET YOU MOTIVATED.
Maybe that comes in the form of caffeine? Or from begging a coworker to be your workout buddy for a couple of days? Or even making a deal with yourself that if you workout then you can treat yourself to something nice later in the day? A glass of wine at dinner or a new shirt, etc.
For me, caffeine gets me motivated. I’m obsessed with cappuccino’s in Europe so if it takes a couple of caffeinated coffee drinks to get me energized and motivated then I’ll happily drink em’ 🙂
5) RELAX AND REST.
Work trips are freakin’ tiringggg. We all know that. So if you’re exhausted and don’t wanna work out then don’t do it. And more importantly, don’t worry about not doing it. Sometimes it’s more important to get an extra 30 minutes of sleep than it is to hit the gym. Do what’s right for you!
_ _ _ _ _