Yesterday’s workout didn’t go as planned. Actually it didn’t go at all. My allergies were killing me so I ended up plopping in bed as soon as I walked in my house (I know excuses, excuses……. so lame)
(Lazy, allergy ridden days = more time with this lil’ stud)
But on a good note, I pulled my lazy butt out of bed around 7:30 last night and prepared a simple yet delicious dinner. I got the idea from a recipe on the awesome blog skinnytaste.com. This meal (or side-dish) is basically a bowl full of spinach, a little whole wheat pasta and some other fun ingredients. So easy, right? And it’s a much healthier alternative to the usual pasta-filled dinner. Why do we fill our bowls with pasta when we could fill the majority with spinach? Don’t get me wrong, I looooove whole wheat pasta but I also know that I feel better when I cut back on carbs in the evening.
(There’s more pasta hiding under the greens (and sorry for the not-so-great iPhone pictures!))
In the mix:
- whole wheat pasta
- fresh spinach leaves
- roasted broccoli
- extra virgin olive oil
- balsamic vinegar
- crumbled feta cheese
- salt and pepper
- bbq marinated grilled chicken
1) For the roasted broccoli: place broccoli florets in a mixing bowl and add about 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil and some salt and pepper. Mix it up. Pour the broccoli onto a baking sheet and bake at 375 for about 15-20 minutes or until tender. Set aside.
2) While broccoli is roasting boil a pot of water, add pasta and cook for 9-10 minutes.
3) In a large bowl, combine the cooked pasta, spinach leaves, roasted broccoli, extra virgin olive oil, a little balsamic vinegar, crumbled feta cheese, and salt and pepper. I topped my bowl with chopped bbq marinated grilled chicken. Enjoy!
I included ingredients that I had on hand but the possibilities are endless! You could also add:
- roasted brussel sprouts or cauliflower
- corn on the cob or canned corn
- grilled asparagus
- chopped carrots
- sautéed mushrooms
- grilled peppers
- crumbled goat cheese or mozzarella cheese
- chopped ham, salami, proscuitto or other deli meats
And on and on. 🙂
_ _ _ _ _
What are you having for dinner tonight?
Anyone else have crazy allergies right now?
Looking forward to any workouts this week?